Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 1, 2011

The double edge sword of copyright!!

Picture by Michael Chapple @ High Falls, GA
The picture above was taken by me, so can it be used by anyone??? This is a very touchy subject. For starters as a broadcasting teacher my course standards require we teach this subject matter and with students today they have no regard for copyright laws or fair use. I start the class off by asking how many of them download music from free site vs buy off i tunes of course no one buys anything, and they do think that it is stealing. My big attention getter is to read the article on the woman that was charged for downloading music and having to pay back around 750,000 but they feel the will never get caught. I feel the content on copyright was very important and I learned new things myself for instance I had no idea if I made it and saved it, it can be protected that was new information to me because the old way was having to apply to have copyright protection. Another thing was the creative commons explanation and how it shows that progress should be taking place to share created work because I feel it can be a language. Creativity shows multiple forms of expression and can create a great end result but with so many limitations and not knowing that's where the double edge sword comes in and can cut you either way. Fair use can still be tricky especially in education for the purposes of teaching a lesson, it hard to ask your self as a teach, can I get my point across with out using certain things? Maybe I can but what if the point is only comprehended by half the class but because I did not use a certain song, or video the other learners did not understand, and at that point the sword get me again. So with all this copyright and fair use in mind what would it take professor for me to "use" everything you have given us for my copyright lesson??? Would that be against the law??

1 comment:

  1. Michael, I really appreciate your thoughts on how you teach with also trying to follow copyright law. I think there is a fine balance that you have touched on between reaching your students by teaching them using content that they are familiar with versus obeying the "law" and possibly excluding students. I do think there is a generational difference and that many students as you mentioned although saying they know what they are doing is considered "stealing" do it anyway. I think this is because that generation (as wel las our own) have a different view and definition of how we learn. As said in may of the videos, this generation (I myself am included in) think differently about how to use and create content. I think using the professor's lesson on copyright would be breaking it so..here's a site I mentioned in another post that may be of some help: http://www.teachingcopyright.org/
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete